Admissions Procedures

Upper Beeding Primary School is categorised as a community school and any admissions are the responsibility of the local authority.  Applications can be made online at:


Telephone: 033 301 42903

Under the Education Act parents can express a preference for any school but parents do not have a right to choose a school. West Sussex Children and Young Peoples Services does however make every effort to meet parental preferences where possible.

Further information about how places are allocated at this and other schools in the county, is contained in the local authority’s ‘Information for Parents Booklet’, a copy of which is available from the Pupil Admissions Office.  It is West Sussex’s policy to handle all questions and issues arising regarding admissions.  Schools remain neutral in this process.

At Upper Beeding Primary School, we aim to be inclusive and apply the principles of equal opportunities at all times.


School Catchment Finder


Reception Admission Arrangements

We have one intake each year, at the start of the autumn term. Reception pupils are normally admitted to school in the September following their 4th birthday. Prospective parents are most welcome to make an appointment to look around our school or to attend our visiting sessions in October/November. There is an expectation that all pupils will begin full time in the September term.  If you have any concerns or would like your child to attend part-time for a while, please speak to the Head Teacher.

Parents should apply online in the autumn of the year before a child starts school.  If we can help you with this please do not hesitate to contact us at the school. Places are allocated in  late spring  – we have a maximum intake of 45 children.


Preliminary Visits

Once we know our exact intake, we begin the process of ensuring every child’s entry into school is happy and relaxed. In the summer term before the September start, parents come to visit the school to find out more about how we work and ask any questions they might still have. This meeting also gives parents the opportunity to meet and talk with the Reception class teachers and other support staff. Soon after, children are invited to visit the Reception class for short visits. During the summer term, just before starting school, each child is visited at their pre-school setting by our Reception class staff. Sessions are also arranged for children to come into school to further familiarise them with the environment.


Admissions into Years 1 – Years 6

Parents of older children moving into the area are welcome to make an appointment to visit the school and to discuss admission with the Head Teacher. As with entry into Reception, all applications for places are dealt with by the Pupil Admissions Office and you can apply online at:


SEND School Places

Applying for a place for children with special educational needs and disabilities

Most children with special educational needs or disabilities attend a mainstream school. West Sussex County Council usually arrange school places for children with special educational needs earlier in the year than other pupils so that they can take account of your preference and your child's particular needs.


Helpline number for advice 0330 222 8555 or email

The West Sussex SEND Information, Advice and Support Service provides impartial information, advice and support to parents and carers of children who have special educational needs and/or a disability. The service aims to encourage partnership between parents, their child’s school, social care, the local authority, health and other agencies. Their service is available for any parent whose child has or may be identified as having special educational needs and/or a disability.

  • If your child has an Educational Health and Care Plan (EHCP) or Statement of SEN, you will be contacted by West Sussex Special Needs Assessment Team, SENAT, who are responsible for making placements. Parents can express a preference for the school they would like their child to attend.
  • If your child does not have an EHCP plan or Statement of SEN, or if your child is in the process of an Education, Health and Care (EHC) needs assessment, you should apply online with your mainstream school preferences.
  • If a draft EHC Plan is issued, the Special Educational Needs Assessment Team will liaise with you about your preferences. You can then ask them to consider a place at a special school or a special support centre.
  • To find a special school or education centre you can search for details of a particular school, education centre, unit or college by postcode or location or through the alphabetical list via 


Transport to School

Transport matters for children attending this school are dealt with by the Transport Coordination Group at West Sussex County Council:

Telephone: 01243 753530